Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Let's Go Fly a Kite!

Greetings, one and all! 'Tis I, Rebecca, back again after our long hiatus - huzzah! Boy, it's good to be back!

Phoebe, who I believe you've recently met, has quickly become my out-of-doors companion, always coming up with some new spectacular idea for our amusement.

Today was splendidly blustery, so Phoebe thought we ought to make a kite, and I quickly agreed. Once finished, we took it outside to test it out.


"Hmm, this looks like a pretty good spot," I said as we neared the birch grove.
"Agreed," Phoebe said. "Shady, but not overly close to the kite-eating trees!" 



We laughed, and I asked, "Now how do we get it into the air?"
Phoebe handed me the kite, still holding the spool, and said, "You take the kite and run as fast as you can while holding it up with the wind behind it. When it catches the wind, you let go and we watch it fly!
"Brilliant!" I exclaimed, and took off with the wind behind me.



"Run, run, run!!" Phoebe shouted after me, laughing with glee. 
Just as she'd said, the wind picked up the kite and plucked it right out of my hand. I watched it soar up and settle at a high point where the wind was steady. 


"It's funny," Phoebe commented as I returned breathless from my run.
"What is?"
"Well, I'm pretty sure I got it backwards and that I'm supposed to run with the spool while you hold it up..."
"Oh." We watched our red kite floating up with its funny little tail whipping about behind it.
I continued, "But I suppose what counts is that we got it up!"
"Right you are - that's the spirit!" Phoebe grinned, and handed me the spool so I could try. 


"Let's go fly a kite up to the highest height! Let's go fly a kite and send it soaring!" we sang, and so the summer afternoon flew by. 


6 comments:

  1. So fun! I've never tried flying a kite, but it seems like fun.
    ~Christian Homeschooler

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love flying kites. Phoebe's outfit is adorable! Lovely work.
    ~Mira

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous day in the park! Thank you for sharing. The photos are stunning!
    ~Xyra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had a lot of fun! I've actually never flown a kite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fun! I've never tried flying a kite, but it seems like fun.
    ~Christian Homeschooler
    โกเด้นสล็อต
    สูตรบาคาร่า

    ReplyDelete

I know you love comments, and so do I; so please take a few seconds and say something! However, if you can't say anything nice (or appropriate, no foul language!), don't say anything at all. :)