Wednesday, January 7, 2015

At the Cabin

Hello! We recently went on a little vacation to a cabin in Idaho. It was beautiful and snowy and relaxing. Charlotte and I took the time to read some books together in front of the Christmas tree while Becca explored the house. 

Charlotte was reading Little Women, per my suggestion. I was quite surprised when she said she'd never read it!

I was reading Mary Poppins for, oh, probably the fourth or fifth time! It's such a fun one.

We were having a grand time, reading away and giggling at the funny parts, when Becca came in with a pack of Apples to Apples cards. 
"Hey, you two bookworms!" she said, cheerfully, "D'you want to play Apples to Apples?"

 "Sounds good to me," Charlotte agreed, "I've read several chapters already."
"You're reading Little Women?" Becca asked, "Did you get to the chapter where they go on the picnic? That's my favorite--their story is hilarious!"
Charlotte laughed. "No, I haven't read that much yet!"

By the time they were finished reminiscing about Alcott's classic, Becca had removed and sorted the cards, which had clearly been returned to their box in a hurry by some previous cabin vacationer. 
"Here, Becca, I'll shuffle them," I offered.

"How many cards do I deal out?" I asked, when I'd finished shuffling.
"Hmm...I can't remember, let me check," Becca replied, pulling out the instructions. "Let's see, five per player."
Once I'd dealt, we all settled in for a crazy round of Apples to Apples.

 "Okay, the category is 'Good,'" Becca said, drawing a green card.
I looked through my cards, "Rock Stars...aren't really any good, Tacos are good tasting, Cavities are terrible, Lemonade is delicious, and A Dollar is pretty good, but you can't buy much with it," I thought to myself. After a bit more deliberation, I chose Lemonade, 'cause Becca loves it, so there was a good chance she'd pick it.


 Then she read off our answers, "Lemonade or A Pile of Leaves. Hmm...lemonade is delicious, but a pile of leaves is a lot of fun," she paused, "I think I'll have to go with lemonade!"
"Yes!" I cried, taking the green card.


And so, the game went on. Each in our turn reading off the other two's silly answers and deciding between them. 

 We had an awesome time, and there was quite a mess of cards afterwards!

 Until nest time!
~ Kirsten

7 comments:

  1. Awesome photo-story! I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photostory! Little Women is a great book, and so is Mary Poppins-I've read both. :) I also love to play Apples-To-Apples. It's so much fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous photos! Love all the bokeh.
    Apples-to-Apples is such a fun game to play! Who ended up winning?
    -Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute photostory! I love playing Apple to Apples! I've only played it once though.;)
    -Emma-

    ReplyDelete

I know you love comments, and so do I; so please take a few seconds and say something! However, if you can't say anything nice (or appropriate, no foul language!), don't say anything at all. :)